And my Tea Party was hateful?

Thursday, April 02, 2009

When did the rules change?

Since I was a little girl, I was told that if I work hard and went to college that I would be successful. If I just did these simple things, the American dream would be mine. I worked my way through school and I am still paying off the student loans. For the first two years off college, I ate nothing but Ramean noodles and items from the Wendy’s $.99 menu. I took the bus when I could not afford the insurance for my car. I lived in questionable neighborhoods because I could not afford anything else. I graduated and now have a good paying job. I have health insurance for the first time in my life. I am a proud wife and even a home owner. Silly me, I thought I was doing the right thing. I thought that my sacrifice would allow me to provide a good life for myself and care for my ill mother.Why did I bother? I have been saving for months to purchase a script for Chantix, the new anti-smoking pill. I had almost saved enough money, when Gustav came and I had to start all over. A young man whom I went to school with gets Chantix for $9.00 a month from the state. I have to pay several hundred (the price has been lowered since I first tried to purchase it) for the medication. I was not eligible for a Pell Grant in college because of my age and lack of children. However my female friends who had children out of wedlock graduated debt free. If I had a baby, the government would give me money for school. I was a “good girl” and have over $10,000 in loans to payoff. I bought a house that I could afford and pay my note on time every month. If I had bought that McMansion closer to my office, the federal government would renegotiate the terms of my mortgage. Why did I bother? Why did I waste all that time and money trying to follow the rules? Where is my advocacy group standing up for my rights and freedoms? Why I am vilified on the news as the “evil rich” who take advantage of the less fortunate? What did I do wrong? I have never felt stupid in my life, but I feel stupid now. Why did I try so hard to be the best I could, when the government is going to make everyone the same? Why am I supposed to sacrifice? I though I did sacrifice. I feel as if I have been lied to and cheated. All those promises my parents made were false. How am I supposed to tell my children to work hard and go to college, when it doesn’t seem to matter?

But no one listens to me
-Patriotic Progeny

Tax Day Tea Party

Open Congress : Recent Votes

Today on Capital Hill

Governor Bobby Jindal | State of Louisiana > Press Releases

Baton Rouge

The Foundry

The Heritage Foundation Papers: Thought

National Review Online

Republican Response

RealClearPolitics

The Economist: News analysis

The American Spectator and AmSpecBlog

Free Republic